EXP with is a project I developed during the User Experience Design class at General Assembly in the Summer of 2016.
I created EXP with app to solve the following problems:
• Travelers waste a lot of time looking for things to do and planning an itinerary.
• They also have a problem trusting reviews and recommendations from unknown sources.
Based on my problem I performed a survey and interviews to find out: who was my audience, the travel apps they use, where and/or whom they get travel tips from, and what’s their travel and social media habits.
INTERVIEWS KEY FINDINGS
• Most of the interviewees waste a lot of time looking for things to do when traveling and when they have last minute change of plans in their hometown.
• Even though interviewees look for travel tips from apps like Yelp and TripAdvisor, they prefer to trust people they know or influential travel and food bloggers than reviews from strangers.
• Interviewees enjoy using social media to discover for new places to go and to share places they have been.
• Check-in feature is valuable for users and help them keep track of places they have been to either come back or recommend to others.
Based on my user research I created 2 personas.
I developed a competitive analysis with my main competitors: Foursquare, Yelp, Time Out, TripIt and Instagram.
Based on user and competitors research I decided to include these key features in the EXP with app:
• Search page, where users can discover places to go based on recommendations from people they trust.
• Home page that shows the feed of the places users’ friends have been.
• Allow users to share posts and upload images, videos or audios of places they have been.
• Profile page, in which users can see their saved places and posts, and organize places into different categories to help them planning a trip.
• Check-in into places and follow place or people features to measure the app’s success.
BUILD & DESIGN
Before I started sketching and designing my app, I created 2 main user flows, the MVP and the site map.
The next step was to create annotated wireframes and UI design using Sketch software.
I tested my prototype with 5 different users.
1) When I asked users to create a new post they were confused between the “camera” and “messages & notifications” icons on the bottom navigation menu. I will redesign the icons and/or implement tutorial on onboarding screens.
2) On search page, users expected to see highest ratings first.
3) On place page, users took a while to find the “Check-in” button; the solution is to change the location of the button below “Follow” and “Save” buttons and design an icon for it.
• Design interface for business account
• Design onboarding screens
• Fix issues found during user testings
• Additional features